Monday 22 October 2012

Chocolate balls كرات الشوكولاتة

The days seem to be moving too quickly for me at the moment.  The weather has been lovely in Melbourne with warm sunny days which naturally sends me outside with the boys.  So, as the spring time weather draws us into parks and playgrounds I have less planning, shopping, cooking and videoing time.  Well, not exactly.  My oldest son, and budding Chef, does convince me to set up and help him make something for dessert or for afternoon tea.  Funny really, he is 4 and a half and he now gets my 19 month old to agree to all manner of things but if cooking is one of them my little baby seems more than happy to join in.  He now takes out various pots and bowls from draws he can reach and takes his space at the table ready to conduct some very serious taste testing of ingredients and mixtures.

I decide to make some Chocolate balls  كرات الشوكولاتة but as a take on the ones my mum used to make.  I think that I should introduce the "Mums' way, My way" concept.  So often I think that the recipes my mum made is exactly how a particular dish should be made but the truth is she always told me that she made things to taste how she liked and added / subtracted or altered ingredients at will.  As a result I have come to make more and more things "My way".  Chocolate balls  كرات الشوكولاتةare so easy and can be made so many different ways.  I decided to make some Chocolate balls  كرات الشوكولاتة    using the ingredients that I already had which included condensed milk and plain sweet biscuits (always in stock at our house since they are great for so many slices, cheesecake bases etc ).  Walnuts and dates seemed like a great addition so they were to go in too.

As soon as I start gathering ingredients the kids come running to the kitchen and decide to take over so...I let them.

Here is their video making Chocolate Balls (Truffles) with dates and walnuts.  Otherwise known as Chocolate balls  كرات الشوكولاتة   - My way!!


Chocolate balls  كرات الشوكولاتة   Video



Chocolate balls  كرات الشوكولاتة
Chocolate balls  كرات الشوكولاتة   
It is similar to the Chocolate balls  كرات الشوكولاتة    my mum would make but she would use cake crumbs instead of the biscuit and eliminate the nuts and dates.


Chocolate balls  كرات الشوكولاتة
Chocolate balls  كرات الشوكولاتة  


Chocolate balls  كرات الشوكولاتة
Chocolate balls  كرات الشوكولاتة   












Here is the recipe for My mums' Chocolate balls  كرات الشوكولاتة  

Left over vanilla coconut cake (one or two days old).  This was her recipe so will post it up after I get a video of it sometime.  In the mean time any cake will do.
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
200g unsalted butter, melted (But depending on the amount of cake and how dense it is use more or less.  The mixture just has to be able to come together into balls)

choc dollarettes, chocolate shavings or crushed peanuts to coat.

Chocolate balls  كرات الشوكولاتة
Chocolate balls  كرات الشوكولاتة   

She sometimes used condensed milk instead of the butter and I think they taste better this way.  So here is yet another version of My mums' Chocolate balls  كرات الشوكولاتة   

2 cups (about 300g) chocolate (or any) cake crumbs
3/4 cup (65g) desiccated coconut
1/2 cup (120ml) sweetened condensed milk
Chocolate, sprinkles, coconut or crushed nuts to coat

  Mix everything together (except the coating ingredients) and roll into balls the size of whole walnuts.  Roll into nuts, coconut or sprinkles and serve.
Chocolate balls  كرات الشوكولاتة
Chocolate balls  كرات الشوكولاتة   

Chocolate balls  كرات الشوكولاتة
Chocolate balls  كرات الشوكولاتة   
Well, hope you try them either my way or my mums' way and let me know if you like them.  

I would love to hear about your way too!! So let me know what you have found to work well together and any variations you like.

'til next time, Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment